Thursday, June 24, 2010

Less stuff, more living

Last week I watched Oprah. For those of you saying, "Oprah, what has happenned, is your brain mush?" Please recall that I was sick and was told to rest. Besides, she's often got interesting people on her show, so I regularly have a quick check, even if it's not interesting enough to hang around for. Anyway, I was watching Oprah, and she was crossing to people (women) around the world who were showing her (us) how they live in their country. The one I like the most was Denmark. She was talking to 2 women there, and had actually gone there to meet them and their friends and have a look around. In their country, they pay about 50% income tax. I tried not to fall off my chair at that! Of course, they 'reckon' their wages are high enough that it's not quite as bad as it seems. They also all seemed to earn a very similar wage to each other. Certainly not the same, but there didn't seem to be great 'class' gaps. They chose jobs based on interest, not salary and power! They had free health (and not the medicare stuff here in NSW, it was real, decent health) and free education (we get that here too). Their transport system seemed to cope with them, it all seemed lovely. I realise here the main word is 'seemed'. I'll be honest, I've not researched at all. I've been one of those people who takes what they see on TV as gospel (I generally ridicule such people!!) What I found fascinating about these people though, is their homes. They are very small, rooms tiny, parents sleep in the dining room, all very bizarre! Lots of cupboard space, practically every wall was a cupboard, and that's where their stuff was! But they didn't have much 'stuff'. Their motto was, 'less stuff, more living'. They enjoy time with their families, in fact they leave work at 4pm to go to the markets and go home to their families. What a great concept!! But I really love this 'less stuff' thing.
As we plan our first overseas trip as a family (not for 18 months), I can't help but think about the oven, dishwasher and other things I could buy with the money. Of course, the kids won't remember that new oven or the dishwasher when they grow up (I'm sure they'd remember unloading the dishwasher!) They will remember the teacup ride at Disneyland. They will remember going to the toy-shop cafe I've been told to take them to in London. And so with this, I think not of what I could buy, but what I could experience instead of buying 'stuff'. So when I head to Melbourne on Monday, I won't forgo an expensive dessert to save up to buy that roasting pan I've been wanting. Because whenever we go anywhere (and I wish it was more often) I never remember what I bought, but I can always tell you about every meal that I experienced with my husband. Of course, is that food 'experience' or 'stuff'? For arguments sake, we'll call it experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment