Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rest and Relaxation

Yesterday I was told I had laryngitis and to stay at home and rest. There was an emphasis on REST. It wasn't even my normal doctor, how does he know me this well? My thoughts were that a hearty soup and some fresh bread would be a good dinner, then I could relax on the lounge. The problem is, the ingredients require chopping and cooking, the bread requires mixing, kneading and stretching, and then it creates a great deal of dishes. This seems to go against the whole 'rest' thing.

Of course, I really wanted my soup. It's an Italian Borlotti and prosciutto soup, the recipe is from July's notebook magazine. My other point was that for me, cooking IS relaxing. So the vegies were chopped, the stock defrosted and the soup started. Of course, the last time I made this soup, I had some salted flat bread with it. It seemed a shame not to have it again.
I'm still learning and was unable to turn this picture around!! Just turn your head :)

The dough when kneaded, ready to rise.

Flat bread isn't hard to make. This one is from Notebook like the soup and it requires:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup warm water
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 TBspoons rosemary
1 TBspoon sea salt flakes
All you have to do is stir the dry ingredients (minus the final salt and the rosemary), add water and half the oil and stir. Knead it for 10 mins and set aside in a greased bowl for 40 mins or doubled in size.
Knead for another min until back to original size and cut it half. Roll it out into a rough rectangle, the dough should be about 4mm thick. Put it on an oven tray, drizzle with remaining oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and rosemary. Bake in preheated 220 C oven for 15 min or until golden.
I have to admit, I find 1 TBspoon of sea salt flakes to be too much on top. I just sprinkle a little of my murray river salt flakes, but not much. Also, last night I had no rosemary. I have stripped my plant bare!! So that's why the pic shows no rosemary!
I absolutely adore having bread at the table that can be broken with hands and passed around the table (make sure the little grot-bags wash their hands well!) The kids love it also, and I'm confident Will will ask for some when he gets home from school. He seems to love it as an afternoon snack.

The finished product!
So in the end, I felt rested from a yummy, warming dinner, and I was relaxed because I had spent the afternoon doing what I love! Sadly, the feeling didn't last as I did the dishes!!







No comments:

Post a Comment