Friday, June 25, 2010

Technology - love it or hate it?



Aaahhh....technology. You waste so many of the hours in which my husband and I could actually be speaking! You stop working at the most inopportune times. You never work the way my 7 year old expects and demands. You give me solitaire (which I play watching TV, talking on the phone, waiting for Joey Scouts to finish, and even while I wait for a person to wash their hands and serve me!!), facebook and blogging. You even allow me to do my banking at home. We have a funny relationship you and I. I love you and rely on you, I couldn't live without you, yet you frustrate me so much that I'm not allowed to have a slide-out keyboard shelf anymore because I broke our last one in anger and frustration (truly, I don't know where Will gets his temper!) I love you technology and I hate you. Today, I love you.

Today, I had the day off work due to the inability to speak for more that a minute or 2 without coughing. This was no problem on Monday. I sucked it up and went in anyway. That is why Tuesday and Wednesday were spent in whisper. Today, I thought I'd take a little more care of myself. But I had to go in anyway. For I had organised a video conference. This is where we get to the love.

This morning, after running around to show the casual what to do, setting up and completely rearranging the library annex, I got to see my little man at his school, while I was at mine. Using screens, cameras, microphones, smartboards and a whole lot of wires, my class and I got to talk to my sons class, 50+ km away. We showed them photos and told them all about our school. Will's class did the same. We got to ask and answer questions, and see what life is like at other schools. Being a casual, I obviously know what it's like at other schools. But the kids usually don't.

We had so much fun, and best of all, I got to see my little man hiding in a corner waving at me. Today, technology, we are friends. Let's see what tomorrow brings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment