Saturday, July 17, 2010

Birthdays, birthdays everywhere.....

Yesterday was the birthday of my wonderful husband. He is only a few years older than me, but of course I tease him about being old!! He's not of course. He's young, fit and fabulous. He grunts a little when getting up off the floor, but to be honest, so do I!! Yesterday morning, I got up at 6.30 so I could make some crepe batter, and decided to do waffles too. Mark had to work, but had someone coming to pick up plants in the morning, so I'd invited him for breakfast too. Crepes were demolished, waffles untouched (Will had begged for them!) But, at least the waffles can be frozen, and cooked at a later date in the toaster.
Today, we had Mark's family over for lunch. I made Jamie Oliver's sticky chicken thighs with chat potatoes and cherry tomatoes, a salad of baby spinach, roasted beetroot and sweet potato with goats cheese and caramelised balsamic, and a dessert of choc cupcakes, choc kisses and melting moments. I'd like to suggest that I don't go overboard with food, I'd be lying!!
I loved that his birthday cake was actually cupcakes, and that there were bikkies involved. Not just because I love them all, but because I have the excuse to get my favourite kitchen item out, my slice stand. This was picked up at a market for about $30. Mark found it for me, and I love it. It's one of the best gifts he's given me!
It always makes the cakes and things look so much yummier.
Also this week, I went and saw one of my beautiful friends for her birthday. Will and I made cupcakes which we took in a gift box, we made grilled vegetable paninis, we also took a jar each of fudge sauce and lemon butter. It was a lovely day, and with her being pregnant, I enjoyed waiting on her!! The only problem being, this birthday celebration was just a touch late. Being mid July that we celebrated would be ok, except that her birthday was in May! Where does time go and what is going on with our priorities??!! Ok, new resolve, friends birthdays must always be celebrated in the month of their actual birthday!!
Happy weekend everyone!

2 comments: