Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chocolate Brownies....need I say more?

I adore Brownies! I don't know how I ever lived without them before I discovered them as a teenager ( I know, a bit slow!) So, whenever I need to take a sweet to a party, I usually whip these up. This weekend was no exception.
On Friday night, I got the butter and chocolate melting, then set about locating the rest of the ingredients. Of course, I hadn't a single egg, so I raced down to the takeaway where I was convinced I'd seen eggs before. Thankfully I was correct! So, back to the recipe. It honestly is a job that takes about 10 minutes, including washing up, then you need only keep an eye on them in the oven.
To make this master-piece, you will need:
200g unsalted butter
125g dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup plain flour, sifted
2 cups caster sugar
2 Tbspoons cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
4 eggs
sifted icing sugar to dust
Here's what you need to do:
Melt your butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stir until melted and smooth. Try your best not to just drink your concoction straight from the saucepan!
Place the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl. Add the eggs and chocolate mixture, and stir well to combine.
Pour into a lightly greased 20 x 30cm rectangular tin lined with baking paper.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out with crumbs, not fudge on it.
Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
Slice the brownies and dust with icing sugar.
Eat as many as you can!!
This recipe is from a Donna Hay magazine, and has been my staple Brownie recipe for a few years now. Donna Hay really knows how to do sweets!
I love that this recipe is very quick, and I often cook it when I haven't a long time for preparation.
One change that I have made over the years, is to use Lindt Mint chocolate instead of normal dark choc. This came about when I was making these and had no normal dark choc. I had all the ingredients out, and had my heart set on brownies. I now make this substitution regularly. Brownies with a hint of mint are fabulous!!
I hope you give these a go, they're hassle free and delicious, if a little TOO moreish!

No comments:

Post a Comment