Monday, July 19, 2010

More games to play...

Most of us know that us adults should have 5 serves of veg and 2 serves of fruit a day. Do you know what kids should have? At 4-7 years old, they should have 2-4 of veg, and 1-2 of fruit. At 8-11 they should have 3-5 serves of veg and 1-2 of fruit. And at 12-19 years of age, they should have a whopping 4-9 serves of veg and 3-4 serves of fruit!
The serves of fruit aren't usually a problem. Fruit is generally sweet, so it's quite nice to eat. Veg, on the other hand, can be a bit different, for kids and adults! For those of you who are parents, how do you deal with veg? I have to say, I'm lucky. My boys do eat a decent number of vegies, though not all, and not always the same ones as each other! But they do eat some. The problem I have, is with those meals that just don't onvolve many, or any, vegetables.
Will loves Thai chicken and rice (a specific recipe that we call 'chicken and rice', not just any will do!!) We all love spaghetti bol or schnitzel and chips, but to be honest, even I don't feel like a salad with these meals, and I usually can't convince any of the boys (small or large) to eat salad!

So I play the game......for them and for me. Pureed cauliflower is one of my favourites. Coat chicken with it, instead of eggwash, before crumbs for schnitzel or nuggets. I also add it to the cream for a very thick carbonara. It may only be a little, but it's better than nothing!
I can add almost anything to spaghetti bolognaise! It already has tomatoes and onions in it, but I like to add grated zucchini and carrot, or a marinara sauce if I've got it in the freezer (this has carrots and celery in it).
These games I play, they're not jsut to hide nutrients from the kids, but is also saves me from cooking veg on the side for my health!!
What do you do to maintain Fruit and Veg levels for you and your family?

6 comments:

  1. Yum - pumpkin cookies count!!! Oh and on sweet things - peel and dice an apple (red is sweetest), stir through some cinnamon and put in microwave for 60 seconds, serve with icecream or yogurt, so good!!! PS a glass of juice counts as one veg serve ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, cinnamon apple!! Good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. also check out this zucchini bread...I would reduce the sugar and use brown sugar instead of white and perhaps use half white and half wholewheat flour? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Zucchini-Bread/Detail.aspx#

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of that bread. I'll print it out and we can add it to my increasing list of recipes for our cooking weekend?? We'll need a party at the end to use up all the food at the rate I'm going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great, can we add baked doughnuts to try?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure, sounds like fun. We'll have to take photos and I can blog about us!

    ReplyDelete