Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The ease of pancakes.

Tonight I made pancakes for dessert. According to Mark, I should be calling them pikelets, because that's what they really are. But I've always called them pancakes, and I'm not about to stop now. The reason I really made them was that I'm almost out of muffins in the freezer. We've been back at school one week, and already my stocks are getting low! So I needed something sweet for morning teas, without to much sugar and preservatives.
I do try to feed us few preservatives. I'm not fenatical (how do you spell this word?) about it, but I try wherever possible.
The other requirement I had was to be cheap. So, I whisked together (mixing after each new addition to the bowl) one egg, 1/4 cup of caster sugar, 3/4 cup of milk and a cup of self-raising flour. Spoon mixture into the pan, wait for it to bubble, flip it and a minute later you have pancakes. Couldn't be easier, couldn't be cheaper.
With this recipe so easy, don't get sucked into the pancake mix in the bottles. They have preservatives and additives to ensure dried egg-like substances last in the bottle. Of all the things to bake out of a packet, pancakes are just too simple to waste your money and possible health.
So, if you're looking for something to spread with jam and add to the lunch-boxes, whip up a batch of these, and see if they last (doubling is allowed!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment